Saturday, January 8, 2011

EXAMINATION OF CONSCIENCE



 THE PARTICULAR EXAMEN
"The particular examen...has for its object one particular fault which we wish to correct or a virtue which we wish to practice. It is made ordinarily before the noonday meal. A good subject is the weakest point of the soul, the predominant fault against we are fighting, or the particular virtue opposed thereto which we realize is most necessary at the time..."

- Hammer and Fire by M. Raphael Simon, OCSO, MD

PRAYER BEFORE EXAMEN

MOST loving Father! I thank Thee with my whole heart and soul for all Thy mercies to me, most miserable sinner. Thou hast created me for Thine own glory, redeemed me with Thy most precious blood, called me to Thy holy faith, and, with most unspeakable goodness, hast chosen me for Thy spouse, permitting me to live under the same roof with Thyself and Thy chosen servants. O my soul, bless the Lord! let all that is within thee praise His holy name! He has done all things for me: I will bless and glorify Him for ever and ever.

O divine Spirit of light and truth, enlighten me, that I may know myself. Amen.

Our Father, etc. Hail Mary, etc.

 DAILY EXAMEN

RISING. Promptitude in rising and dressing, thoughts on God or the subject of meditation. Morning Offering. With fervor. Meditation. Respectful posture; presence of God; attention; fervor in affections and resolutions; choice of ejaculations for the day.

Office. Recollection; attention to ceremonies and pronunciation of words.

Mass. Formal intention; the prayers with devotion or meditation on the Passion ; spiritual communion and offering of one’s self to God.

Communion. Preparation by offering of duties from evening meditation; faith, humility, gratitude, love, the fruit drawn from it.

Visits to the Blessed Sacrament. Fidelity in making those prescribed, viz.: after breakfast to review meditation, after spiritual reading, before and after meals, before and after an appointed duty in the schools, house of mercy, etc.: besides those, one or two of special devotion for a few minutes.

Spiritual Reading. Attention, fruit drawn from it.

Domestic Duties. Union with Jesus in Nazareth, or in the spirit of penance, care, neatness.

Time-employments. With regularity, exactness, fervor, cheerfulness under labor or fatigue ; avoiding indulgence in idleness or slothful neglect, yielding to impatience, irritability, pride, or vanity.

Silence. Time, places, and manner prescribed; avoiding idle thoughts.

Night Prayers. Punctuality; diligent examen; devotion at Litany; preparation of meditation.

Retiring to rest. Silence ; thoughts of God ; in bed at the appointed time.


ANOTHER SHORT METHOD OF DAILY EXAMEN

Recall Presence of God.

FIRST POINT: ACT OF THANKSGIVING

MY Lord and my God! I most humbly thank Thee for the great benefits of creation, redemption, etc., and for Thy mercy and patience in bearing with me in spite of my many faults and sins. I offer Thee, my dear Lord and Master, the gratitude of my poor heart for all Thy favors, general and particular; above all, for having called me to this Congregation in order to save rne in it.

SECOND POINT: PETITION FOR LIGHT

MY God, give me light to know my sins and see their real deformity, and to realize what a bad and bitter thing it is to stray from Thee. Grant me grace to see clearly my miseries, and to detest them with all my heart.

THIRD POINT: EXAMINATION

MY dear Lord, how far have I gone astray from the path of perfection, although my Saviour Jesus hath marked it out for me by footprints stained with blood!


General Examen

FIRST POINT: SPIRITUAL DUTIES

OFFERING of first thoughts and in union with the Apostleship of Prayey? Morning and night prayers? Meditation and reflection? Mass? Holy communion? Spiritual reading? Daily examen? Beads? Vocal prayers? Visits to the Blessed Sacrament? Particular examen?


SECOND POINT: VOWS

1. POVERTY. In giving? lending? borrowing? accepting ? retaining ? without leave ? Waste in charges ? Spirit of poverty cultivated ?

2. Chastity. Custody of eyes, ears, tongue? Dangerous reading? Avoidance of dangerous occasions?

3. Obedience. In execution? In will? In judgment? Obeyed unreservedly? promptly? courageously? humbly? in spirit of faith?

4. Sendee of the Poor. Appointed work neglected or badly done? Spirit of faith, serving Christ s poor with devotedness? "Unceasing labor"?

5. Instruction of Children. Devotedness? Thor oughness? Kindness? Patience? Impartiality? In the spirit of faith?


THIRD POINT: PRACTICE OF PRINCIPAL VIRTUES

What faults against charity? Humility? Industry? Patience ? Punctuality ? Silence ? etc.


FOURTH POINT: ACT OF SORROW

MY dear Lord, through Thy infinite mercy pardon me my many sins and faults. I am heartily sorry for them, because by them I have grieved and wounded Thy Sacred Heart and rendered myself so unworthy of Thy love. I am sorry from my heart for the ungrateful return I have made Thee for all Thy goodness to me. Forgive me, dear Lord, pierce my heart with true sorrow. I love Thee above all things.


FIFTH POINT: PURPOSE OF AMENDMENT

MY Lord and my God, I now firmly resolve with Thy help to correct my faults to overcome specially that one, N.N., which I am determined not to commit again. Confirm this my resolution by the merits of Thy bitter Passion and death, which I now offer in satisfaction for my sins. My dear Jesus! I unite my poor heart with Thine all wounded and torn. May Thy Heart be a hiding-place in which I may dwell securely. My heart is ready, O my God! my heart is ready to make atonement for my sins, to adopt the means of correcting my faults, and of acquiring the perfection of my holy state.

N.B. Conclude with Pater and Ave. If time permit, recite Acts of Faith, Hope, and Charity, also "Suscipe" and a few indulgenced aspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment