Thursday, March 24, 2011

MARCH: Chaplet of Saint Joseph



How to Pray the Chaplet of Saint Joseph

While holding the St. Joseph medal, make the Sign of the Cross and then recite the

Opening St. Joseph Prayer

O Saint Joseph, whose protection is so great, so strong, so prompt before the throne of God, I place in you all my interests and desires O Saint Joseph, assist me by your powerful intercession and obtain for me from your Divine Son all spiritual blessings through Jesus Christ, Our Lord; so that having engaged here below your heavenly power, I may offer my thanksgiving and homage to the most loving of Fathers. O Saint Joseph, I never weary contemplating you and Jesus asleep in your arms; I dare not approach while He reposes near your heart. Press Him in my name and kiss His fine head for me, and ask Him to return the Kiss when I draw my dying breath.   Amen

 (This prayer was found in the 50th year of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. In 1505, it was sent by the Pope to Emperor Charles when he was going into battle. It is said that whoever shall read this prayer or take it with them, shall never die a sudden death or be drowned, nor shall poison take effect on them; neither shall they fall into the hands of the enemy, or shall be burned in any fire or shall be empowered in battle.)

On the first bead, recite the Apostles Creed

I believe in God, the Father almighty, Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord. He was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He descended into hell. On the third day He rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty. He will come again to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen

On the second bead, recite the Our Father

Our Father who art in Heaven hallowed be Thy name, Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us and lead us not into temptation. But deliver us from evil.  Amen.

On the third bead, recite the Anima Christi

Soul of Christ, sanctify me.
Body of Christ, save me.
Blood of Christ, inebriate me.
Water from the side of Christ, wash me.
Passion of Christ, strengthen me.
O good Jesus, hear me.
Within thy sacred wounds hide me.
From the wicked enemy defend me.
In the hour of my death call me
And bid me come to thee
that with thy saints I may praise thee
forever and ever. Amen

On the fourth bead, recite the Prayer for the Help of the Holy Ghost

O God, send forth your Holy Ghost into my heart that I may perceive, into my mind that I may remember, and into my soul that I may meditate. Inspire me to speak with piety, holiness, tenderness and mercy. Teach, guide and direct my thoughts and senses from beginning to end. May your grace ever help and correct me, and may I be strengthened now with wisdom from on high, for the sake of your infinite mercy. Amen.

On the fifth bead, recite My Sovereign Lady

O Holy Mary , my sovereign Lady, into your blessed trust and special custody, and into the heart of your mercy, I this day, and every day, and in the hour of my death, commend my whole being. To you I commit all my hope and happiness, all my cares and concerns and my whole life, that, through your most holy intercession and through your merits, all my actions may be guided and governed according to your will and that of your divine Son.
Amen.

Like the Holy Rosary, the St. Joseph chaplet is a "bead-prayer."  The beads are designed to keep count of the prayers. They are not required to perform the devotion, however. There are 49 beads in the circlet, organized into seven sets of seven beads. Each set is preceded by a larger bead. This larger bead in the circlet are used to pray the "Prayer for a Heavenly Crown" The seven beads in the circlet are used in petition to St. Joseph for prayers and assistance in growing in virtue.

At the beginning of each section, Recite  Prayer for a Heavenly Crown, then we humbly pray for St. Joseph to intercede on our behalf in asking our heavenly Father to bestow upon us virtues which St, Joseph himself was a perfect model.

Prayer for a Heavenly Crown

O ST. JOSEPH, virgin father of Jesus and most pure spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary, pray every day for us to the same Jesus, the Son of God, that being defended by the power of His grace and striving dutifully in life, we may be crowned by Him at the hour of death. Amen. (Pope Pius X)

 We humbly pray for the virtue of …

(Each set of seven beads is dedicated to virtues which we are petitioning St. Joseph to obtain for us)

1. Wisdom, Understanding & Counsel          
2. Fortitude, Knowledge, Piety & Fear of the Lord                                      
3. Charity, Joy & Peace                                                                                  
4. Patience, Benignity (Kindness) & Goodness                                             
5. Longsuffering, Mildness& Faith (Fidelity)                                   
6. Modesty, Continence & Chastity                                      
7. Prudence, Justice, Fortitude, Temperance & a love for Voluntary Poverty, Perpetual Chastity, Entire Obedience

1-2       7   Gifts of the Holy Ghost
3-6       12 Fruits of the Holy Ghost
7          4   Cardinal Virtues & the 3 Evangelical Counsels

On the seven following beads, we petition St. Joseph to aide us by reciting the following prayer seven times:

V.  St, Joseph, we love and honor you,
R.  Protect and Guide Us.

After the last set of prayers, the Chaplet is concluded with the Prayer of St. Joseph prescribed by Pope Leo XIII.

To you, O blessed Joseph, we have recourse in our affliction, and having implored the help of your thrice holy Spouse, We now, with hearts filled with confidence, Earnestly beg you also to take us under your protection. By that charity, by which you were united to the Immaculate Virgin, Mother of God, and by that fatherly love, with which you did cherish the Child Jesus, We beseech you and we humbly pray that you will look down with gracious eyes upon That inheritance which Jesus Christ purchased by His Blood, And will aid us in our need by your power and strength. Defend O most watchful guardian of the Holy family, The chosen offspring of Jesus Christ. Keep from us, O most loving Father, all blight of error and corruption. Aid us from on high, most valiant defender, In this conflict with the powers of darkness, and even as of old, You did rescue the Child Jesus from the peril of His life, So now defend God's Holy Church from the snares of the enemy and from all adversity. Shield us ever under your patronage, that, following your example and strengthened by your help, we may live a holy life, die a happy death, and attain everlasting bliss in Heaven. Amen

St. Joseph hear our prayers and obtain our petitions.
St. Joseph of the House of David, pray for us. 
St. Joseph of the House of David, pray for us.
St. Joseph of the House of David, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment